Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Crochet Coral Reef

Back in 2008 when I was still a Crochet puppy, my sister took me along to a "Hyperbolic Crochet" workshop in the Hayward Gallery on London's Southbank. It seemed a bit out there and wacky but it was lots of fun doing crochet in such a large group. I had to add this grainy picture of the display as, it turned up when I typed my name on a google image web search- my 2 pieces are in there somewhere!


Why am I writing about this now? Well, the other night I had finished my Gingerbread man and realised that I hadn't brought the stuff I needed for my next project (My craft boxes are stored in my little girls room). So I had the leftover wool and no pattern. I then remembered this post from before Christmas saying how the Reef was back and, even though I've missed this year's send in, decided to start on a batch for next year.

Hey, I'm already making stuff for Christmas! That should show how long it takes for me to get organised....
http://www.loopyjess.co.uk/2010/11/uk-hyperbolic-coral-reef-is-back.html


It really is simple to make these beautiful shapes. Make a chain, use SC, Half DC or DC and add regular increases
Ie:- Chain 30,
SC in 5 stitches, increase in next stitch.
repeat for each row and watch it ruffle up!

To make more ruffled up shapes, do fewer stitches between the increases
Ie:- Chain 20
SC in 4/3/2/1 stitches, increase in next stitch.


This link will take you to the handout I've been using. It has clear pictures and easy instructions.
http://crochetcoralreef.org/Content/makeyourown/IFF-CrochetReef-HowToHandout.pdf


So, the display is running through February and I hope to get my Sister to travel up with me to see how it has grown. I'm looking forward to using up some of my old wool to make some colourful pieces and will post as I go.

See more details on Ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/groups/uk-crochet-coral-reef

No comments:

Post a Comment